Saturday, February 28, 2009

triumph.


I was looking through some of my old pictures today and I stumbled across this beauty. I don't mean to say I think I look good - quite the opposite actually. But this was taken at the top of Harney Peak last summer. We started hiking early that morning and made our way through the sweat, rain, fog and blisters to the summit. When we reached the top, the fog was so thick, we couldn't see how far we'd come. But if the fist pump doesn't give it away, we were still ecstatic.
It was one of the most grueling physical tasks I had ever done. More than once, on the way up, I wanted to just sit down and say "hey, I'll wait here, you guys go ahead." But, together, we kept putting one foot in front of the other, helping each other, laughing together and leading each other. And nothing could eclipse the feeling of reaching the summit, wet, exhausted, and hungry, but together.

"Do a little more each day than you think you can do."

No comments:

Post a Comment