Monday, March 23, 2009

surprise.

No, I'm not pregnant. I feel like that is what people normally say after, "surprise". Either that or happy birthday. Neither of which apply.

But, I was reading "The Mermaid Chair", by Sue Monk Kidd, last night. The prologue tells the story of a restless 42 year old woman, realizing she has never astonished herself, never experienced the euphoria of a surprise of the strength or her own character. I have grasped a tiny measure of the despair of not knowing what I am capable of, of what I should have done, what I should strive to do.

This week, the bottom completely fell out of my "plan". I had been so confident that I was where I was supposed to be, doing what I was supposed to be doing. I was in my groove. Strong, independent, driven. In an attempt to get organized and ensure everything was going to work according to plan, I realized nothing will. No part of what I had been striving to accomplish will be completed as I had hoped.

I need to step back. I need to reevaluate, reconsider everything about what I had dreamed to be true for my life. Is my original plan worth the extraordinary input of time and money, or do I need to completely change my plan, my dream, my desires?

I realize this post is void of any concrete detail. It's intentional. Perhaps I'm not the only one reconsidering, reevaluating. Perhaps a lack of detail will translate easier into the details of a different life.

I have not lost hope. I know that I know that all things will work together for a purpose that is good and perfect. A plan that is beyond what I had imagined for myself. But, oh how easy it is to despair in the dark confusion of a decision, overwhelmed by my limited perspective.

For today, still lost in my own thoughts, my own indecision, I must concentrate on what I know:
"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." - 2 Corinthians 12: 9-10

2 comments:

  1. beautiful post, christina.
    & such a beautiful verse to go with it.
    miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 Cor. 4 16-18 "Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

    Hope you have a great day Christina!

    ReplyDelete