Saturday, September 12, 2009

the monarch

As part of this "dealing" process, which I mentioned in earlier posts, I have been meeting with a counselor at school. Yesterday we talked and she mentioned trying to "live in the moment". To embrace each event as it happens and use all five senses to fully experience the current environment - a marvelous idea, I said.

I left feeling lighter and walked with an awareness of my surroundings, the blue sky, the birds and falling leaves. My eyes caught a beautiful monarch flitting among the trees, and I watched it float as I continued walking down the sidewalk. The brakes of a passing semi-truck distracted my peaceful "in the moment" walk, and to my horror, the butterfly was viciously sucked into the gnashing teeth of the truck's metal grill.

I would love to put some lovely cliché here, explicit and direct, a perfect parallel of some real life trauma or virtue or ideology.

Instead, I just continued to walk, the heaviness over my heart returned and I drove home to the funeral.

No comments:

Post a Comment