Wednesday, April 1, 2009

all the difference.



Beware: April Fools Day at an Elementary School might be one of the scariest things known to mankind.
7 o'clock am rolls around and I head to school to hang out with 2nd-4th graders until their classes start.
Always an adventure, but today more than usual.
Kids were crazy - running around the classroom, hiding under desks, yelling out blatant lies and then screaming 'April Fools!'

When school finally began and I could sneak out of the nightmare...
One of the 2nd graders with whom we've had quite a bit of trouble this year walks up to me and gives me a great big hug.
"Hey Christina, I'll see you after school, ok?" In the voice that normally complains and yells profanities.
"Ok."
Total shock.

How can one kid turn around an entire morning of chaos with a simple hug?
I don't know.
But, really, it made all the difference.

2 comments: