Thursday, April 30, 2009

to run.

getting started is the hardest part.

putting on my tennis shoes, i groan.
i really just don't want to go.
it's rainy.
it's windy.
i should just take a break.
just wait until tomorrow.
then some tiny piece of me overcomes my quitter tendencies and kicks my butt out the door. and i'm off.

that first mile, i want to give up.
just quit.
my shins hurt.
i'm breathing heavy already.
i think i'm cramping up.
just quit.

but now i know getting started is the hardest part.
and i know once i get past that first mile, i'm going to be just fine.
i'm not going to die.
i'm actually going to feel more alive than i have all day.

and when i'm finished, sweat pouring down my neck and breathing hard and wobbling legs, i love it.

and i tuck that piece, the sweat and smile, back into my brain and save it for the next rainy day.

"do a little more each day than you think you can do."

2 comments:

  1. amen to every single word!
    miss you. can't wait for camp.
    the good old days will be back.
    yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too much emotion in my little heart right now... Need to run...definitely.

    ReplyDelete