Saturday, April 25, 2009

What to do with my life: Teach.



part 1 of a 3 part series.

Recently, I had a revelation. I had spent a significant amount of time intentionally thinking, meditating, deciding, what were the most important things in my life. What are the essentials? What things are good, but unnecessary? What things are just taking up space and need to be left out?
My life can get crazy busy without my consent and soon I will realize I'm alone at 2:00 am wondering where my day, my energy, my life has gone.
And it hit me one morning, I need a purpose. A definite, unique, tangible, voiced direction for my life. I wanted to sift through the stuff consuming my days and retain what is imperative, and lose the unimportant. Almost instantaneously, three words came to mind: teaching, loving, learning.
Above all else, these are things I was made to do.
I haven't always believed I should teach; in high school, I was repulsed by the idea. But after a similar assessment of the direction of my life a few years ago, I realized there is nothing else I would rather do, that I would enjoy as much, and that fit my character. I love the challenge of giving students of any age power, independence, a voice through education. I love the idea of inspiration, stemming from a new perspective. And I love to watch the growth which comes from a mind that is stretched and encouraged and a heart that is passionate.
My abilities, my ideas, my creativity, are perfectly fit within my passion.
Wherever I go, whatever I do, I want a primary focus of my life to be teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment